Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Sometimes you feel like a nut...

Yeah. I love Earworms. I actually hate that word: Earworm, but it seems sufficient for this post, so I'll use it. I blame Big Boss Man. I never got Earworms before I married him. Or if I did, they weren't associated with the word "Earworm" so they never lasted near as long as they do now.

Imagine this: being awakened in the wee morning hours by your youngest child...your baby...telling you that he's had an accident and his clothing, bed, and blankets are now wet. No biggie, right? It's a mom thing, right? So why then do I get up to help him out, and the theme song to the Mounds and Almond Joy commercials pops into my head??? Have you ever tried to go back to sleep while the words Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't are running around like toddlers in your mind? It's enough to medicate yourself.

So. I feign sleep for a few hours, then wake up at sunrise to get ready for the day. Yes, the song is still rummaging around my pea brain, as though it's lost its car keys and is searching frantically for them. I'm used to it by now. At least it's not something really annoying, like, uhm, well okay. It is really annoying. But I'm used to it.

I find it necessary to call a company we do business with to ask a couple questions, and while on hold waiting for the helpful customer service respresentative to answer, I hear it. No, not the Mounds and Almond Joy theme song, but another one...another Earworm. It's Stand by Me. Except it wasn't the cool version of the song. It was some unGodly elevator muzak version. It was horrid. And I have to tell you...having the cool version of a song stuck as an Earworm is bad enough...let alone the unGodly elevator muzak version of it.

Now I don't know what to do. I could open media player and try to replace the unGodly elevator muzak Earworm with something I at least enjoy. I could try to ignore it for a little while, as I have to get ready for work anyway, and it will just be replaced by something else equally as Earwormish once I get there (did I ever tell you, we call the Walgreens stuff Wal-zak? I actually like most of the songs played on a good day...but man...the bad days are really bad). I think I'll opt for the latter. Maybe if I take a shower and let the hot steamy water run down over my little pea brain, it will wash away the remnants of any remaining Earworms. Yeah, that's what I'll do.


And then I'll go to work and buy an Almond Joy. And a Mounds. Because sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yesterday morning I told Jim that I found another grey hair, and instead of getting the comforting words I truly expected from my beloved he starting singing, "I'm gonna wash that grey right outta my hair" over and over. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. And then the darn thing got stuck in my head.
I was NOT happy.

Mama Tango said...

I would've kicked his butt Liz. Now I've got the word antidisestablishmentarianism in my head (thanks again, Ree). I'm trying to teach the boys to say it.

Patrick Truax said...

Honey, Walzac Rocks! It also rhymes with prozac!