Sunday, November 04, 2007

I'm completely irrational.

I'm ready to come clean and bare myself to all of you. I'm ready for the embarrassment. I'm ready for the ridiculing and laughter. I'm ready to come to terms with my irrational fears and face them head-on. But you'll hold my hand, right? RIGHT?!?

I'm afraid of our basement. It huge and dark, even with the lights on. Shadows fall where they will, and it freaks me out. This, my friends, is why there are mountains and mountains of laundry waiting for me to do something with them: because I'm skeered of the dark, dingy basement. There's That Room in the back corner that the previous owners started to build...they got as far as lining the beams with plastic, which makes things even worse for me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Who wouldn't be afraid of this???



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Shiver.

I realize it's hard to see what this is...but it's a view under my basement stairs. God knows what could be lurking under those stairs!! God knows what could reach between those stairs when l'il ol' unsuspecting me walks up, completely helpless, with my arms holding an overflowing basket of laundry.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Stairs with a flash. Doesn't help much, does it?



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is where I have to walk to in order to do laundry. Wouldn't you be skeered too?? All the way over there!


Notice the plastic in the background. That's That Room. That Room. How am I supposed to know there's not some zombie creature hiding in That Room? I lock the doors, yes, but those zombies: they're sneaky like that.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A sort of view back into That Room. I couldn't make myself go all the way to the door.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A view of That Room with a flash. Doesn't help much, does it?



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My view as I walk back up the stairs. Oh who am I kidding?? I'm jogging quickly by the middle of the staircase, and running, 2 steps at a time, by the top.


*Sigh* I feel better having faced my irrational fears with you all. I will still avoid That Room like the Plague. And I'll always wonder what's lurking under the stairs, ready to grab me by the ankles when I'm rendered defenseless by my laundry basket. But I'll think of you all when the zombies get me.

6 comments:

barefoot gardener said...

Glad you made it safely! Tee-hee.

Patrick Truax said...

The only thing you have to worry about are the spiders, Honey. The rats wont come out when people are down there, and the brown recluse bite is overrated..

I love you!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you can do about those stairs...everyone has that fear I guess, but I know a plumber, electrician, remodeler that could make it a lot less scary. Never fear zombies usually don't feel the need to hide in basements.

Elizabeth said...

Why is it that I'm the only one to come up with the sensible solution?!

Send Pat down to do all basement related activities!!!!

Problem solved!

Anonymous said...

*cough* Probably not the best time to mention this, but have you ever watched "28 days" or "28 weeks"?

By the end of the movie, you will never step down there again.

Ever.

I'm not exactly comforting, am I? *grin*

Leah Wentzel said...

I'm just glad to see someone else's basement looks the same as mine!!!