Sunday, October 30, 2011

Trick or Treat (a day early!)

For some reason, our “village” has trick or treating two days – tonight and tomorrow night. So the older kids dressed up and went down our street and back (Gina stayed here at home, as she’d had enough candy from yesterday – more on that later). So far tonight, we’ve had one little girl who was too afraid to take the candy, another little girl who refused our candy because “I don’t like that kind”, and a dad who was screaming at his son to hurry up and get to the next house. I’m not sure I have it in me to hand out candy again tomorrow night.

We also went to the local parade, which was awesome (and incredibly long!). Lots of floats, a few marching bands (yay band geeks!!), and lots of candy tossed our way. I don’t know what it is about wee little ones, but floaters always flip and extra handful of candy towards Gina. Not that I’m complaining. My hips might be, but I’m not.

This is the time of year when many of the blogs I follow are writing about their reasoning behind not celebrating Halloween. I have to admit something: we still celebrate it, and not because I disagree with much of anything my fellow bloggers have to say about it. We celebrate it because I’m still a weak parent when it comes to things like this. Our older kids have gone trick or treating every year since they were very young, and I just couldn’t say no to them this year. And although I let them dress up, I did not allow them to stand in our yard and scare their fellow trick or treaters.

I’m also at the place where I question the harm in carving a pumpkin or attending a parade. I get that the whole holiday is very dark, and that the world has so much evil, gore, killing and senselessness already. We do not allow that much and do make them cut back this year. Perhaps next year, when I’m further in my walk with God and further into my Bible studies, I’ll be more comfortable not celebrating it at all.

I guess all I’m saying is this: please don’t judge my family because we still celebrate in a fun way on Halloween. If you think it’s wrong, that’s fine. Please remember back to when you first started your true walk with the Lord. Remember all the mistakes you made while learning. Remember all the things you wanted to figure out. Questions you had that made you want to research and study the Bible for answers. This is where I am. And the great thing about our Heavenly Father is that if what I’m doing is wrong, and I figure it out later and repent for it, He’s alright with that. He made me perfectly imperfect so I could glorify Him for the changes He’s made (and will make) in me. Glorify Him for His daily renewed grace.

No comments: