Monday, September 26, 2011

What's Your Housekeeping Nemesis?

I'm here to tell you, I'm not the best housekeeper in the world. I'm not even the second best housekeeper. My home is not filthy, by any means, but it is far from tidy (most days). And since I've gone back to work, it's gotten worse...or maybe it's the same, but I'm too tired when I get home to deal with anything but dinner and family time.

Since moving into my mother's home (we are sort of long-term, indefinite house sitters for right now, but that's another post), I've come to realize what a TREMENDOUS blessing a dishwasher is. Because we don't have one. And oh, how I miss it. But dishes are in a close race with the never-ending pile of laundry.

I have kids. And a husband. And a uniform for work. I'd like to point out here that although I DO change into more comfortable clothes when I get home, I'm often in them for only a few hours before bed, so I wear the same clothes a couple days in a row. So...I'm not the one making the laundry here, people!! :) It's just something I can't keep on top of. I haven't found a system that works (yet). I've tried a specific laundry day. I've tried doing one load a day (the OCD in me has a hard time with that one). I've tried separating clothes by color, and by person, since I wash everything but towels in cold anyway. Some ways have proven more effective than others, but I've not been completely successful with any certain way.

"In everything that he undertook in the service of God's temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered." 2 Chronicles 31:21

Laundry is one of the many duties God gave me when He made me wife and mother. By looking at the never-ending pile as such a burden, as something I MUST do, and "Woe is me that no one will turn their socks right-side out!", Ido not please the Lord. The job of making my husband and children ready for each day has been entrusted to me, and I should look upon it as a privilege to do such an important job! God smiles down on me when I work with a joyful heart, to His glory. And thankfully, even when I catch a glimpse of the bottom of the laundry basket, someone will always be happy to toss in another pair of socks for me to continue my work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every time I FINISH the laundry, which is not easy, Michelle says "OH! I took my laundry out for you". UGH. I don't have a dishwasher either. It's not easy. Every day I try to remind myself that this is my job, like it or love it. I CHOSE it. God CHOSE it for me. This is where He has put me and I should (try) to be joyful.

Some days are easier than others!