Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sad Day for the Family

It's hard to believe I haven't posted since Easter! Lately I've been trying to simplify my life (declutter mentally, emotionally, and physically, that is). Sadly, blogging was something I put on the back burner of a commercial grade stovetop. The good news is that things are very slowly coming together. *VERY* slowly.

Last night I had a minor setback, at least on the emotional front. Our cat Dexter has been sick for awhile with what I believe was hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver. I thought he was getting better, but last night he took a decided turn for the worst and passed away around 9:20pm. I was able to be there with him as he took his last precious breaths (although I did send my older kids upstairs, since I didn't know exactly what was going to happen). To say that I did not take it well is a gross understatement (I am still weepy this morning). My husband arrived home from work shortly after Dexter passed and did the majority of the picking him up, preparing, burying, etc. I did hold the flashlight for him, but that was about all I could bear to do.

Dexter at the beginning of his odyssey

Dexter came to us in sort of an odd way. The kids and I were visiting my dad in New Mexico. He was preparing for a move to Minnesota, so we took a week to visit and help him finish up his house (painting, etc.). An ex-roommate of his was Dexter's owner but left Dexter there when she moved out. Dad kept him, but wasn't too emotionally attached, and he certainly didn't want to take the cat to Minnesota with him. I fell in love with Dexter and that was that. By the end of the week, when my husband flew in to join us, my one and only job was to convince him to let me bring Dexter back to Missouri with us.

We scrambled to get everything we needed to allow Dexter to fly (my husband worked for the airline at that time, so we flew standby everywhere we went). Instead of driving to Albequerque from where we were, then flying home, we decided to rent a car and drive to Denver, then fly home from there (we *love* Denver and had some extra time). Dexter was none too thrilled with a long car ride, but the vet had given us some medication to help soothe him during any car rides or flights we took. All things considered, he did very well.

Dexter invading the bathtub

Once in Denver, we were astounded to see that there were no available seats heading to St. Louis. In fact, every flight was overbooked! This is not good for standby passengers, because you're just that - standby. We discovered open seats on a flight to Chicago, so we took a leap of faith and grabbed those up, hoping to get a car in ChiTown and drive home. Dexter did as well as can be expected on the flight, meowing pathetically even after being medicated. He was one tough kitty though, and made it through like a champ. Since gracing us with his presence, Dexter has fit right in with this family. SPOILED. ROTTEN. He's been with us through having another baby, job changes, and moving twice. He quickly became just another member of the family, and although his incessant nighttime meowing got annoying once in awhile, he was the greatest feline I've ever had.

There is nothing comfier than a Dexter pillow.

Dexter, may you rest in peace. Thank you for being such a goofy addition to our family: a foot warmer on cold nights, a playmate for the kids, and an all-around wonderful cat. I hope you loved us as much as we loved you. You'll never know how much you'll be missed.

RIP Dexter the Attack Cat 5/14/12

No comments: